The Carolina Children’s Home (CCH) was founded by Reverend Carlisle Courtenay and chartered as the Rescue Orphanage in December, 1909. It began serving children in a rented house on Assembly Street in downtown Columbia.
In June 1910, the orphanage relocated to a sixty-four acre site at the corner of Sunnyside and Trenholm roads. Throughout the following decade, dormitories, a cafeteria, a barn, a laundry and other buildings were constructed and occupied. The children of the orphanage studied in the local schools and helped with the chores around the campus. Orphans came to the Children’s Home from many counties throughout the state. At its peak, the Children’s Home served over 125 children on its campus. In 1958, the Palmetto little league was formed at CCH and the home’s field served as the League’s headquarters for over 3 decades. And, in 1964 CCH welcome children from the Richland County Children’s Home.